I. Required documents:
- Application for confirmation of foreign education or qualifications for further education (form No. 1);
- The application may be filed by a victim of armed conflicts, natural disasters or other humanitarian crises caused by nature or humans – in the event that there are material difficulties with submission of the original or a duplicate of the certificate or with authentication of the certificate.
- The decision on that matter confirms primary education, lower secondary education, basic vocational education and upper secondary education received abroad or qualifications for further education received abroad, including qualifications for applying for admission to tertiary education.
- The application should be filed with the education superintendant having territorial jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence or, if the applicant does not have a place of residence in the territory of the Republic of Poland, with the education superintendant having territorial jurisdiction over the registered office of the institution with which the applicant intends to file the certificate.
- The original or a duplicate of the certificate – for inspection, or,
- Documents (The documents should be issued or confirmed by the school or educational institution which issued the certificate or by educational authorities of the state on whose territory or in whose educational system the certificate was issued):
- statement of grades received at the examination conditioning graduation from a school or educational institution or credit for a given stage of education,
- statement of subjects and other activities completed at a given stage of education, together with grades,
- information about the completed curriculum concerning:
- the curriculum content,
- the planned period of learning,
- the grading scale,
- information about obtained qualifications for further education at a relevant level in the state in which the certificate was issued, including information about qualifications for applying for admission to tertiary education and the scope of such qualifications.
- Documents allowing for indirect determination of the level of education or qualifications for further education, in particular documents certifying professional qualifications, employment, traineeship or internship, or,
- The applicant’s statement on received education, completed schools, educational institutions or stage of education abroad or qualifications for further education or the applicant’s statement concerning the information referred to in section 3;
- Translation into Polish of the certificate and other documents in a foreign language, prepared or attested by:
- a person entered by the Minister of Justice in the Roll of Sworn Translators, or,
- a person registered as a sworn translator in a member state of the European Union, member state of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) – party to the Agreement
on the European Economic Area or a member state of the Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development (OECD), or,
- a consul of the Republic of Poland appointed for the state on whose territory or in whose educational system the certificate was issued, or,
- diplomatic mission or consular office, accredited in the Republic of Poland, of the state
on whose territory or in whose educational system the certificate was issued;
In the event that there are material difficulties with translation of documents into Polish, the educational superintendant may agree to accept a translation prepared by other entity whose credibility raises no doubts.
- Authorisation (form No. 2) – if the applicant is not the person to whom the certificate was issued;
- Photocopy of ID document confirming personal data of the owner of the certificate;
- Document confirming the right of residency in the territory of the Republic of Poland – applies to persons who are not Polish citizens.
II. Place of filing:
Kuratorium Oświaty [Regional Board of Education] in Kraków, ul. Szlak 73, 312-153 Kraków (Filing Log)
III. Application deadline:
Applications together with documentation may be filed all year long.
IV. Handling deadline:
1 month, in complicated matters – 2 months
V. Contact persons:
Professional Pragmatics Department – tel. 12 448-11-13
Monika Broś – Senior Specialist
Milena Wtorek – Specialist
Marta Rogozińska-Owsiak – Director of the Department of Educational Strategy and Professional Pragmatics
VI. Legal basis:
- Article 93a-h of the Educational System Act of 7 September 1991 (“Dziennik Ustaw” [Journal of Laws] of 2021, item 1915, as amended);
- the Act of 14 June 1960 – Code of Administrative Procedure (“Dziennik Ustaw” [Journal of Laws] of 2021, item 735, as amended);
- Ordinance of the Minister of National Education of 25 March 2015 on Procedure for Recognition of Certificate or Other Document or for Confirmation of Education or Qualifications for Further Education Obtained in a Foreign Educational System (“Dziennik Ustaw” [Journal of Laws], item 447, as amended).
VII. Additional information:
- Confirmation of education or qualifications for further education may be done only once.
- A person who obtained the refugee status or complementary protection or holds a permanent residency permit granted with a view to joining the family of the refugee or person under complementary protection may file an application for confirmation of education or qualifications for further education with the Masovia Province Education Superintendant. For this purpose, one should contact the Regional Board of Education in Warsaw to determine the details of the procedure. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 22 551 24 00, www.kuratorium.waw.pl
- In the procedure for confirmation of education or qualifications for further education, a committee appointed by the education superintendant interviews the applicant to check his or her level of education, unless it is possible to directly or indirectly ascertain the fact of obtaining abroad a level of education or qualifications for further education based on the documents filed by the applicant.
- Kuratorium Oświaty [Education Office] in Kraków does not send back the documents filed in the case – after the procedure has been completed, the documents should be collected personally or under an authorisation.